Skip to main content

For Written Answer on : 23/05/2023
Question Number(s): 649 Question Reference(s): 24040/23
Department: Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth
Asked by: David Stanton T.D.


To ask the Minister for Children; Equality; Disability; Integration and Youth if he has explored the possibility of providing funding for the installation of communication boards in playgrounds around the country; and if he will make a statement on the matter.


While my Department has not specifically explored the installation of communication boards in playgrounds,  my Department  provides Local Authorities with the opportunity to apply for funding to support play and recreation facilities for children and young people. The Capital Grant Scheme for Play and Recreation is run in conjunction with each of the 31 Local Authorities, via the Local Authority Play and Recreation Network (LAPRN). This approach is taken to allow each Local Authority to assess and prioritise needs in their area.

The scheme caters for the development of new play and recreation facilities and the refurbishment of existing play and recreation facilities.

Each respective Local Authority is responsible for the exact specification of equipment proposed for each project and there is nothing in the Grant Scheme Guidelines to preclude a Local Authority from including a communications board  in their application. Indeed, one of the key criteria of the Scheme is that the proposed play facilities will improve accessibility and inclusivity for children and young people with additional needs.  

The Capital Grant Scheme for Play and Recreation will typically open for applications in the first quarter of each year.