For Written Answer on : 16/06/2022
Question Number(s): 424 Question Reference(s): 31429/22
Asked by: David Stanton T.D.
To ask the Minister for Justice the number of police certificates issued in 2020, 2021 and 2022, in tabular form; the number of certificates issued in each respective category for 2020, 2021 and 2022, in tabular form; and if she will make a statement on the matter.
As the Deputy will be aware, under the Garda Síochána Act 2005 (as amended), the Garda Commissioner is responsible for the management and administration of An Garda Síochána, including operational matters such as the issuing of Police Certificates. As Minister, I have no role in the matter.
I am advised by the Garda authorities that Police Certificates are issued by Garda Superintendents responsible for the District where the applicant resides or has previously resided.
Police Certificates are issued for the following purposes;
1. Foreign Consular Authorities / Foreign Visas (e.g. applications, naturalisation and/or other immigration matters).
2. Establishing or registering a Business in another EU Member State.
3. Employment in the EU Institutions.
4. Development/Humanitarian/Aid Workers deployed Overseas on behalf of a Registered Non-Governmental Organisation with supporting documentation issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and/or any other Statutory Agency related to the activity concerned.
5. Irish Citizens participating and/or engaging in an accredited academic programme on a full time basis for a minimum period of one academic year with a recognised Third Level Educational Institution (in the Host State) outside of this jurisdiction.
I am informed by the Garda authorities that the figures requested by the Deputy are not maintained nationally in the format requested and that to compile this information would involve a disproportionate expenditure of Garda resources.