For Written Answer on : 06/05/2021
Question Number(s): 96 Question Reference(s): 23387/21
Asked by: David Stanton T.D.
To ask the Minister for Education if she is satisfied that each child expected to transition to second-level in September 2021 in the Midleton and Carrigtwohill school planning area, County Cork will receive a school place; and if she will make a statement on the matter.
I wish to advise the Deputy that my Department is aware of increasing pressures and demand for additional post-primary school places in a number of school planning areas including Midleton and Carrigtwohill.
Where capacity issues arise it may not be as a result of lack of accommodation but may be driven by the following factors:
- Duplication of applications – pupils have applied for a place to a number of schools in the area
- School of choice – pupils can’t get a place in their preferred school while there are places in other schools in the town/area
- Some towns/areas have single sex schools and while places are available in the school there are not available to all pupils
- External draw – pupils coming from outside the local area
Until these issues are discussed with the relevant school authorities the true extent of any capacity issue will only become known. Similar to the process adopted in advance of the current academic year, my Department is engaging with patron bodies, including in the area in question, to identify particular capacity requirements for the forthcoming year(s) which may necessitate action. My Department is engaging with all school authorities in East Cork in relation to post-primary school places for September 2021 and all available options are being considered.
To assist in the process of providing additional second level places in Midleton and Carrigtwohill for 2021 the following measures have been taken to date:.
- Additional temporary accommodation has been approved for Carrigtwohill Community College for 2021/22 pending provision of their new permanent school.
- Approved an extension to St. Aloysius College, Carrigtwohill to expand the school to cater for 1,000 pupils.