Skip to main content

For Written Answer on : 13/12/2023
Question Number(s): 18 Question Reference(s): 55739/23
Department: Environment, Climate and Communications
Asked by: David Stanton T.D.


To ask the Minister for the Environment; Climate and Communications the way in which older people who have a right of residence in a property that they do not own or does not involve tenancy or lease agreements, can be assisted to improve insulation through the various energy upgrade schemes; and if he will make a statement on the matter.


The Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI) has a number of schemes in place to support homeowners to upgrade their properties. These include the Better Energy Homes, Community Energy Grant and National Home Energy Upgrade (One Stop Shop) schemes, which provide part-funding towards the cost of certain energy upgrades, and the fully funded Warmer Homes scheme. This allows homeowners to choose the best home upgrade option to suit their particular needs.

The part-funded schemes are available to homeowners, private landlords and Approved Housing Bodies. To apply, applicants must confirm that they are the owner or that they are acting with the express consent of the owner.

To qualify for the fully funded Warmer Homes scheme, applicants must own and occupy their home. The following documents can be submitted as proof of ownership:

  • Home insurance policy (not a quote); or
  • Mortgage statement; or
  • The title deeds for the property; or
  • Local Property Tax notification letter, along with a utility bill.

SEAI are aware of circumstances, where a person may not be the owner of the property but may have right of residence. In these cases SEAI advise to contact them for information.   

There are also other grants and schemes available from Government that could be of assistance where there is an urgent need for home repairs. These include the Department of Social Protection Urgent Needs Payment available through the Community Welfare Service at local DSP offices, and the Housing Adaptation Grant Scheme which is administered by the Local Authorities.