A new national medical card online service, www.medicalcard.ie, has been launched by the HSE says Cork East Fine Gael TD and Minister of State at the Department of Justice, David Stanton. This new service enables people to apply online for a medical card using a quick and easy process.
‘The new service will streamline the application process and improve processing times. I understand that users will be able to receive an immediate decision on their eligibility for a medical card and, if they are eligible, their application will be processed in 15 working days.
“The new online service will also enable users to scan and upload supporting documentation making it more convenient. A GP stamp will also no longer be necessary as it was with paper forms. These measures should simplify the application process, making it more convenient and secure and also reduce turnaround times”, commented Minister Stanton.
The main benefits of the new medical card online service are:
1. An online system which guides you through each step of the application process;
2. All supporting documentation can be digitally submitted, including photographs of relevant material;
3. Your GP will be able to accept you onto their panel via the online system;
4. If the HSE needs to contact you about your application, they can do so by email;
5. Once financial details have been submitted, a decision is made on eligibility straight away;
6. Complete application will be processed in 15 working days
“Under the new system, users will benefit from a more efficient and convenient system which puts the applicant at the centre of the process. I would urge anyone who wishes to apply for a medical card or to renew their current one to log on to www.medicalcard.ie to see the new system.
“Providing and efficient and user-friendly online medical card application service is a very welcome development. It forms part of an ongoing process of modernisation of service delivery in the medical card scheme and the health service as a whole which aims at enhancing access to health care services for everyone.